Thursday, July 12, 2012

Diary of a Sleep Training Parent: By George!

Thursday Night: By George!

There is a scene in the musical My Fair Lady in which the three main characters are all exhausted and Henry Higgins asks Eliza Doolittle to say it again...and she repeats the phrase clearly.
"The rain in Spain stays mainly on the plain."
 A moment of shock and disbelief....and then they brust into jubilant song and dance.

"The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain! 
   I think she's got it! I think she's got it!
The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain! 
   By George, she's got it! By George, she's got it!
Now, once again where does it rain? 
On the plain! On the plain! 
And where's that soggy plain? 
In Spain! In Spain!" 

This is what happened in our living room tonight when I realized in less than 10 minutes Noah was sound asleep. The dance and everything (I played all three of the parts).


Two side notes in the midst of my celebration: Our baby is too smart. He now has the bedtime and nap routines memorized and starts to get upset as soon as he realizes it has begun. I managed to trick him into enjoying some of it tonight until I picked up the 3rd (and last) book to read. Hopefully he will settle into enjoying the routine at some point. 
Our baby is quite determined. I pray God will tame and use that spirit for His good.


(7th in a series)

No comments:

Post a Comment